Dangerous Goods (Storage and Handling) Regulations Changes09-07-2021
Dangerous Goods (Storage and Handling) Amendment (Notification) Regulations 2021
The Dangerous Goods (Storage and Handling) Regulations 2012 have been updated as WorkSafe Victoria have made the decision to more closely monitor businesses holding large (Manifest) quantities of Dangerous Goods.
This change came into effect as of 01 July 2021, if you would like any assistance in understanding or fulfilling your obligations, please contact SafetyZone for advice and assistance.
Overview of the changes are outlined below, following review by our Chemical Regulations Specialist, please note key changes that apply to the Regulations.
What do I do if I have already notified WorkSafe of Notifiable Goods prior to July 2021?
If nothing in your details have changed, as per point 4, you have a six-month transition period to update your notification with WorkSafe. If your details, as per point 4, have changed you are required to undertake updated notification within 3 days of the changes.
There are some technical changes present such as the introduction of a Definition of Notifiable Goods, key highlights are as below.
- Notifiable goods are those that meet or exceed the Manifest quantities in Schedule 2 of the Dangerous Goods (Storage and Handling) Regulations 2012.
- New information is required to be included in the notifications which must now be undertaken within 3 business days of having these chemicals on site.
- The maximum quantities for each of those goods that will be at the premises at any one time during the next 2 years.
- You now need to notify WorkSafe of any prescribed notifiable chemicals every 2 years instead of every 5 years.
- You need to notify WorkSafe within 3 days if any of the following occur:
- The occupier changes or contact details change.
- There is 20% change in the maximum quantity held of a particular type of notifiable goods.
- New notifiable goods are stored.
- You no longer store notifiable goods.
- You change what you are doing with the notifiable goods.
- You have substantial changes to plant or storage used for storage handling of the notifiable goods.
Reference and full details: https://www.worksafe.vic.gov.au/news/2021-05/dangerous-goods-regulations-strengthened